Skip to main content

February 2023 Book Review

It's BOOK REVIEW DAY!! 

Can you believe February is already over?! Summer will surely be here before we know it! I read three great books this month!! Let's get into them. 

First up, I read

Maame by Jessica George-

Oh, this book.
It was amazing. 
Maame is Jessica George's debut novel. I could hardly believe that. She is such a fantastic writer. This is Jenna Bush Hager's pick of the month for Read with Jenna. Maame is a late in life coming of age story filled with friendship, love, loss, and LIFE. I laughed. I cried. I felt all the feelings basically. It's real, and it's raw. I finished in about two days, because I could not put it down. I was totally transported and felt like I was there with Maddie, the main character. I loved it so much. Every book I read after this one has a lot to live up to. I can't imagine this not being the best book I read all year. Please, do yourself a favor and read this book! 

BONUS!! Jenna Bush Hager's Thousand Voices and Universal International Studios are developing Maame into a TV series! I cannot wait for that. I imagine it will be quite amazing, too. 

First Comes Love by Emily Giffin-
I've been holding on to this book for a while- I think my mom passed it to me after she read it. I tried reading it a few months ago but couldn't get into it. I wanted to give it another try because I loved Something Borrowed and Something Blue, also by Emily Giffin. It did take me a minute to get into it, but once I was in it, I was in it. 

I liked it. It isn't the best book I've ever read, but it was good. 

I thought it was sweet, and it sure makes me grateful that I have a really great and solid relationship with my sister- we certainly don't go months without speaking. I think this book was a great pick for February. It was all about sisterly love, family love, romantic relationship love, and self love. All the love for the month of love! And maybe even redemption! When it was over, I didn't really feel like it was over. I think we needed maybe an Epilogue, or even a sequel. It's a light read that would also be great for beach or poolside reading. 

Sisters First by Jenna Bush Hager and Barbara Pierce Bush
I read maybe a quarter of the way through this book when it first came out, but I was a bad reader then. I wanted to finish this, and I'm so glad I did! It was so sweet, and I loved reading their stories from The White House. I felt so many emotions throughout this book, too. I think since it's written about real people by those real people, that makes it so much more special and emotional. It was so neat to read the behind the scenes of their lives! 
My step dad actually bought this book for my mom, sister, and me. He got it at a book event that Jenna and Barbara hosted, so our copy is signed by them!
How neat?! He also got a picture with them! I might be a little jealous!😂

My plan was to read maybe four or five books this month, but life happens and plans have to change. I honestly struggled to get into the mindset to read some days, so it took me longer to get through these books. I have my first read for March ready to go, and I'm excited to get started on that one! I'm really surprising myself with the different genres I've been reading! I used to read only chick-lit type books, but I'm branching out a lot more now! What have you read lately? Any suggestions for me?



Follow me on Instagram: @everydaymaddieblog
Send me an email: everydaymaddie@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Look: December 2023

  Happy Wednesday, friends! Today I'm linking up with  Shay  and  Erika  to bring you one of my favorite posts of the month! Each month we blog and link up to let you "look" at different aspects of our lives... In January, we LOOKED at  Scheduling/Organizing. In February, we LOOKED at  What's In Our Medicine Cabinets.   In March, we LOOKED at our  All Time Favorite Amazon Finds.   In April, we LOOKED at our  Biggest Pet Peeves.   In May, we LOOKED at our  Morning Routines. In June, we LOOKED at our  Best Travel Tips. In July, we LOOKED at our  New Summer Finds. I missed out on August 😕. In September, we LOOKED at our  Evening Routines. In October, we LOOKED at our  Biggest Fears (Irrational and NOT). In November, we LOOKED at our Stocking Stuffers. And for the last topic of 2023, we are "looking" at our TOP COMFORTS in life!  I'm a big believer in making the most of every single day, so here are a few things that truly "make" my day!  My famil

Friday Favorites {9.1.23}

  Happy Friday!! Happy SEPTEMBER!! And happy Labor Day weekend! Lots of HAPPY on this Friday morning!  As always, I'm linking up with Erika and Andrea to bring you some faves from the week!  Well, I couldn't hold out any longer... Yesterday I put out the fall decor! (I'll have a full fall "home tour" up soon!) Isn't this just so cozy?? It may be 90 degrees outside, but inside my home you'd never know!  All the PUMPKIN coffees.  My favorite Starbucks order is a Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew. Once it gets a lot cooler, I'll switch to a hot PSL.  My morning coffee though...  I added a little pumpkin spice to the top! This mug is just so happy! (I can't find my exact one, but it was $5 at Target! (This one is similar, and I might even like it a little better!) If you caught my What's Up Wednesday post earlier this week, then you probably know that this.... is my favorite night gown!! I've washed it several times, though I don't recommend putti

Friday Favorites {12.8.23}

  Happy Friday, friends!! Today I'm linking up with Erika and Andrea to bring you some favorites from my week!  If you missed yesterday's post, it was my ONE YEAR BLOGIVERSARY! One year ago, I set out to do something I've wanted to do for a very long time. I have loved this year of blogging! If you come here each week to read my blog, THANK YOU!! I appreciate your support more than you know!  I have loved the truffles from Aldi, so when I saw these chocolates I knew I had to try them. They are AMAZING. I've been eating a bit of some each night after dinner! If you see them, grab them!  I think I feel more like an adult when I have fresh flowers in the kitchen 😂. These red carnations are so cheerful!  A couple months ago, Caleb decided we needed an espresso machine...so on Black Friday he found one on a pretty good deal and went for it. We're considering it our Christmas to each other 😉. Friends, I mean it when I say if I never go back to Starbucks again, I would